Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Dear Safeway In-store Broadcasting Network,
More "Carol of the Bells," less "I'll Be Home for Christmas."
K Thx Bai!

One of the things about working in a grocery store is that you're stuck listening to various renditions of the same old Christmas songs over and over and over. I'd like to hear "The 12 Pains of Christmas" or "Mele Kalikimaka" but instead I get to hear "Frosty the Snowman" and--the horror--"I'll Be Home for Christmas."

You're probably wondering why that last song bothers me. It's because the singer promises to be home for Christmas only to negate it by adding "if only in my dreams." Don't tell me I can count on you if I can't, darn it! Everytime I hear it I get disappointed. And then I have to remind myself that my sister is coming home for Christmas and I don't need to be sad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Christmas carols should make you unhappy. That's what seasonal affective disorder is for.

No comments: