Sunday, February 27, 2011

You lie like a pine tree in the back yard after last month's storm


So last Saturday evening I come home and notice there is a PECO truck parked on my street. I'm super observant like that. (Okay, I actually was just hoping it wasn't blocking my driveway.) When I got inside my parents told me to look out the back window to see if I noticed anything different. Two houses down there was a broken electric pole. Surprisingly, we still had electricity. Apparently PECO's plan was to just park a truck on our street and pay guys to just sit there and do nothing. Until about 24 hours later. When I'm on the last episode of season one of Doctor Who. THEN our electricity goes off. Are you kidding me?! (It's a good thing I wasn't in the middle of a creepy episode.) So my dad lights a bunch of candles in our living room and goes to see what's going on. He comes back and tells me it will just be an hour or two. (No word on why they waited until it was dark to start doing anything.) An hour or two I can deal with, even though I'd been planning on microwaving some food soon. So after about two hours the power flashes on and off again so fast I barely have enough time to get excited before I'm dissapointed again. This time my dad reports the electricity will not be coming back on any time soon. Apparently, a tree fell on the electric wires which was strong enough to pull the pole down. And first they had to cut the tree off before they could fix the pole, but then it turned out they would have to replace the pole and that would take a while. I got a picture when they had both poles up--the second one showed up sometime around 2 am. (I figured a visual aid for my blog would be a nice touch. :P) So Monday morning I wake up a) hoping and praying that the electricity would be back and b) really thankful I got that Jeeves alarm clock which works on batteries and not electricity like my old one. Guess what? Still no electricity. And it's my first day starting at my new old job. Yaaaaay. And did I mention that Tuesday is my birthday and I brought home an icecream cake on Saturday? *headdesk* Fortunately, when I got home after work on Monday the electricity had been back for about an hour. And my cake wasn't too melted, and I had electricity on my birthday so I got to use Skype for the first time so I could see my twin on our birthday (which I haven't gotten to do since I was 18). So I was saved from having the second-worst birthday of my life, and had one of the best instead. Plus I got a really good excuse about why I couldn't post a blog last Sunday.

2 comments:

jesstexter said...

last year was my worst ever bday. I don't remember what yours was. I'm guessing during college the year you forgot your presents at home?

HeatherH said...

Yup. Freshman year. :(
I do remember that last year was your worst. I'm glad Randy didn't have to drive this year. :)