Friday, June 8, 2012

"Why Haven't I Ever Thought of That?" — Culinary Edition

Here's a collection of interesting things to do with food that I've seen and thought "Why haven't I thought of that?" or that I came up with and thought "Why haven't I thought of this sooner?"

DRINKS
• I wanted strawberry lemonade, but I had pink lemonade mix, so I sliced up some fresh strawberries and stirred them in. Delicious!

• Frozen strawberries work well as ice cubes. They cool your drink without watering it down, add a little flavor, and when your drink is gone you can eat the defrosted berries.

• I normally don't like flavored waters, but slices of cucumber in water add a subtle, refreshing flavor.

CHEESE
• You can add other ingredients to grilled cheese such as slices of tomato, ham, or pepperoni.

• Make deviled egg boats by threading a triangle of thinly sliced cheese onto a toothpick to make a sail and insert it into the egg half. Instead of cheese you could use a tortilla chip, or if you want a more colorful sail you could use triangle-shaped slices of bell peppers (if you like those disgusting things).

Mike introduced me to some fun things to do with cheese dogs:

• Slice them up and mix them into mac and cheese.

• Wrap them up as pigs in blankets.

DESSERT
• Use Peeps as the marshmallow in s'mores or rice krispie treats.

• Dip bunny Peeps in chocolate to look like tuxedos.
















• Check out more fun things to do with Peeps here:
http://kimandjason.com/blog/2012-03-29/peeps-aplenty-20-unconventional-things-to-make-with-peeps.html

Feel free to share any clever food inventions you like in the comments!

2 comments:

jesstexter said...

I put regular hot dogs in mac and cheese. I don't normally have the cheese dogs. I just finished off a container of country time strawberry lemonade mix cuz they didn't have pink lemonade. we should have switched. lol I haven't tried cucumbers in water before, but there's always the old standby-lemons. Still a free drink at restaurants, and just as delicious. :)P.S. Who has that kind of time with peeps??

Unknown said...

"if you like those disgusting things"... I love bell peppers, but my mom would totally agree with your assessment of them. It makes cooking for my family incredibly difficult. I love the frozen-strawberries-as-ice-cubes idea; I will definitely try that. And my favorite way to have grilled cheese is with a slice of tomato and crispy bacon inside. PS- To me, peeps would be the disgusting things. I give mine away every Easter.