Saturday, November 20, 2010

Lunatics & Imbeciles

In movies, sometimes writers are the victims of psycopaths (Misery), and sometimes they are the psycopaths (Secret Window). Here's hoping being in the former category doesn't turn me into a member of the latter.

One night I had a woman who was looking for a strawberry shortcake. I told her I could pull one out of the freezer for her since there weren't any on the shelf. This is something I've often done for customers and no one has ever reacted like this woman. She says, "So you have them, just not where customers can buy them." Excuse me for not having every single item we carry out on the shelves at all times! Then she goes on, acting like "freezer" was a dirty word. She didn't believe that freezing things keeps them fresh. I tried to tell her that this is the point of freezers, but she wasn't buying it. Once I told her that we freeze all our cakes, she "threatened" to never shop at my store again. (Promise? Don't let the automatic door hit you on the way out!) Won't she be in for a shock when she finds out all other grocery stores freeze their product too.

So besides crazy people like her, we also have stupid customers. We sell double and single layer round fudge cakes and one day the double layers were on sale for $5.00, which is a good deal. It's an even better deal when compared to the single layer cakes which cost $7.29. You could get twice as much cake for less money. Even if you got the double layer and threw half of it away you'd still be ahead. So at the end of the day I checked the table, and the stack of double layer fudge cakes were still there, while the single layers are sold out! Who are these people who shop here?! I just hope insanity isn't contagious.

No comments: